Q: the name of a part

I'm trying to find out what the name of a part is called its black and in the middle of the engine I think it's a cover piece for the cylinders but not sure it was part of what looked like a computer chip that was fried when we took it out

Based on the information given, you may be referring to the ignition coil.

I know that on this particular vehicle, the ignition coil is black and also located in the center of the engine. The ignition coil also may resemble a computer chip as it is connected to the powertrain control module.

Another indication that you removed the ignition coil would be that six wires were also connected to it from the spark plugs and one wiring connector should have also been connected.