Q: The gear shifter is not shifting

Further to my Pending quote.. while changing gear for checking my TFL level,, the stick totally disengaged ,and could no event restart engine. Battery ok.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. In the event that the engine is not starting and your battery is okay, then check the relay to the starter in the fuse box to see if the relay clicks when attempting to start the engine. If the engine still will not restart, then the security could be tripped and has locked out the ignition system.

In this case, remove both battery cables and leave the battery disconnected for 10 minutes; then, reconnect the battery cables. This will drain all of the power from the computer and reset the computer. If your gear shifter is not moving, then the lock cylinder on the shifter has either failed or is broken.

If you need assistance with troubleshooting, then seek out a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can help determine why your car isn’t starting and suggest the necessary repairs.