Recently, the electrical components on the dash lit up like normal, but once I turned the key to start the engine, everything electrical had died. Upon taking the key out and attempting to start it again, no electrical components lit up (as if there was no battery connected). I have replaced the solenoid to the starter, the ignition switch, removed and recharged the battery (an AutoCraft Gold which I bought back in February when I originally had this issue). After replacing these parts, and having the same issue of electrical components starting, but being killed when trying to turn over the engine, I walked away for about half an hour, and came back to a burning smell. I entered my car, (and with NO key in the ignition) a repeating clicking sound came from behind the dashboard or steering wheel (it was hard to precisely pinpoint). It seemed it was trying to start on its own, possibly due to short circuiting. I have checked fuses and found no issues, where do I look next?
My car has 150000 miles.
My car has a manual transmission.
Hello. From what you describe it sounds like one of your vehicle’s relays may have failed. If the vehicle is no longer starting it may be possible that one of the relays associated with the starting system has gone out and needs to be replaced. Relays are electrical components that act as switches for the electrical system. They are often times located in the vehicle’s fuse panels, and beneath the dash. It is not uncommon for relays to burn out or shirt circuit and require replacement. If the smell and noises appear to be coming from underneath the dash I would check for possibly faulty relays their first. Similar symptoms can also be caused by faulty wiring or connectors. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the no start condition and electrical issues.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing