Q: The engine stutters for a while before starting. 2002 Honda Civic

Whenever I insert the car key the engine stutters and rumbles before starting and it takes a while.

Hi there - if your car stutter-starts, but runs fine once it is running, you probably have a problem with the fuel system check valve. This valve maintains some fuel pressure in the system so that your car starts faster once the key is turned to "Start". A malfunctioning check valve requires the fuel pump to run longer to build adequate pressure for the engine to run, resulting in longer cranking time, and stuttering as you describe. I would recommend a fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. The engine stutters for a while before starting. 2002 Honda Civic