Q: The driver's seat will not move forward and backward. When I move it forward it makes a sound and then stops.

The driver's seat torso will not move forward all the way. It is currently laying flat onto the backseat. It makes a mechanical noise when moving it forward and gradually stops without really moving forward
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: There is a small motor and worm gear inside...

There is a small motor and worm gear inside the seat that moves to allow the adjustment of the angle of the back of the seat. The motor may have a malfunction or there may be an obstruction on the gear that is making the motor work much harder to move the seat until it stops to keep from overheating. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out to take a closer look at the malfunctioning seat adjuster and offer a more personal diagnosis.