Q: The cracked alternator issue on a 2004 Toyota Corolla CE

My friend has a 2004 Toyota Corolla CE and he hasn't started it in a year and a half. The alternator was rust but we fixed that but it is cracked and if we tighten it too much it won't turn. Would that cause a problem?

A: It certainly will. You will not be able to ...

It certainly will. You will not be able to start the car. It will drain it so much. If you want, take all the fan belts off and see if you can get the car started. If you can't get it started, then you'll know if it's worthwhile to move further with repairs.

I would go and get another alternator. You can get alternators remanufactured at many places for a reasonable amount of money if you are on a budget. If you need help having the alternator replaced, a technician can inspect your car and perform this task for you.