Q: The computer readout located by other controls

What does it mean when the computer readout on the control panel reads traction off.

A: It means the traction control system is not...

It means the traction control system is not working. The Traction control is an automatic feature that modulates the throttle if it senses wheel spin. If the controller senses a fault in any of the system components, it shuts the traction control off so that there are no malfunctions affecting the accelerator.

A technician with the appropriate scan equipment can read the codes and determine what is the malfunction. The other possibility is that the system has been manually turned off. Some years of the XK8 had a manual shutoff switch in the console, and if that is the case, you may have accidentally switched the TCS off. Look for a button in your console labeled Traction or TCS.

If you decide the fault is in the system, you can contact YourMechanic to send a technician to your home to read the codes and advise you on the best options.