Q: The check engine light came on and the P0197 code is the issue.

I recently purchased this car in October As Is but I bought the extended warranty. I had the oil change done in the first 60 days. We found that the owners had the wrong engine oil in it with 5w30 it should have been 10w30 but that was done before inspection in August and it was not driven 100 miles before I got it changed. However now I have this sensor issue. Would this be covered under this bumper to bumper engine Warranty I purchased?

A code p0197 for your vehicle is for the engine oil temperature sensor circuit showing low voltage. This could be caused by a bad sensor, faulty wiring, or a problem with the powertrain control module. The code is set when the computer sees that there is an oil temperature that reading outside of the normal parameters. The most common cause in this situation is the failure of the oil temperature sensor. As far as it being covered under your warranty, this is something that you will need to take a look at the paperwork for the specific terms of coverage. Some warranties will cover more than others, and there is no way for me to be able to say whether yours will, nor not.