Q: The check engine light and 2 other lights are illuminated.

Dealer diagnosed the problem as the Air Injection System Valve #2 stuck closed. They quoted an expensive price to repair, which would take about 2 days. Are there more economical ways to make this repair and is it really necessary? Thanks.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The secondary air injection system opens and closes to allow fresh air to be sent into the exhaust system in order to reduce the amount of pollutants entering the atmosphere. The valve is controlled by an electromagnetic switch. The switch is likely what has failed. The normal operating functions of the engine depend on this system to be working correctly. This is why it is considered an important repair. You should have it fixed as soon as possible. With that said, it is always smart to get a second opinion. The hard part is accessing the valve and switch. You are being quoted, and will pay for that work, if having it done professionally. The best way to cut cost is have it done by someone with a reasonable hourly rate, or do the work yourself at home. For a quote, or to schedule an appointment, contact our service department.