Q: The car won't start

For about a week before the car wouldn't start, it sounded like I had a low battery when cranking it. Then, when I got back from a weekend trip and went to start my car, nothing happened. It wouldn't turn over or anything. About a week ago I took my battery to the shop and they said it was bad, so I went and got a new one, but still nothing. When I go to start it, if I'm listening under the hood, there's one click, then nothing. I don't know what's wrong.

Hi, thanks for writing in. Usually, when you hear a single click, it means that the starter is bad. A good diagnosis of this is taking a small wrench or hammer and knock on your starter a few times. If your car starts following this procedure, then you have a faulty starter. Something may be restricting the starter from spinning freely when it gets power. If this is not the issue, I would recommend having a qualified mechanic come to your home or office to inspect the electrical system of your vehicle.