Q: The car struggles to accelerate, and it stalled out last night before I shut the car off.

My Lumina is struggling to accelerate and it leaves a bad smell when I'm done driving, I think it may be the fuel filter. I can barely go above 40 MPH and the car is sputtering when I'm stopped. It also stalled out on me right before I shut it off last night.

What you are describing sounds like a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

• The car struggles to accelerate, and it stalled out last night before I shut the car off.