Q: The car started overheating recently

My 2004 Lincoln LS v8 used to randomly start overheating during my trips. All I had to do was shut the car off for literally a second, start it back up and I would be good for the next 100-200 miles. Lately, however, within driving the first couple miles of any trip, the car starts overheating, but as soon as I pull over (not even turning the car off) the temp arrow starts dropping. If I start driving again, overheats again until I pull over and stop hitting gas. ( I have changed the radiator and the thermostat so far bit the problem persists ) When I pop the hood and turn the car on, if I squeeze the coolant hose close to the front end of the car, which i heard is supposed to have pressure, it doesn't seem to have any at all, and last time after putting in the new radiator, I put water into the reservoir to test it, and it constantly starts boiling and doesn't seem like there's any pressure. Is it the water pump? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

A: Hi there; Overheating issues can be very t...

Hi there;

Overheating issues can be very tricky to diagnose due to the multiple components involved in the cooling system. If you’ve recently replaced the radiator and thermostat, it’s probable that air bubbles may have been trapped inside the cooling system; which can create overheating symptoms you’re describing above. However, it could also be the water pump that is faulty or the water pump pulley is damaged; especially if it’s not creating the right amount of pressure in the coolant lines. The best way to reduce the guess work and pinpoint the precise source of your issue is to have a mobile mechanic from YourMechanic.com complete an engine is overheating inspection first.