Q: The car shut off during driving

The other day, I had difficulty starting the car. There was a clunking noise but as I kept applying the gas pedal, the car eventually started. However, the car shut off while I was driving. When I applied the gas, there was a noise, but I am not sure where it was coming from. Also, the steering wheel was kind of difficult to move in either direction. The dashboard was showing many lights on and the car shut off. What could cause this?

Hello. Though this can be caused by a number of things for your 1998 Buick Riviera, it sounds like you have a belt that failed. When the belt fails and comes off, this symptom will occur. The loss of the belt will cause the engine to make a sound like this and act this way. If I knew what the noise sounded like, I would be able to tell you with more certainty. I usually start by making sure that the belt is installed and is tight. If not, then that will need to be replaced. If you are planning on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue and make the correct repairs.

3. The car shut off during driving