Q: The car needs a new starter

My wife's car needs a new starter. We took it to the dealership and they quoted us a high price to fix it. I looked up the parts and I can purchase a new starter for about one-fifth of the price that the dealership quoted. Is it worth it to have the dealership replace it?

A: Hello. Typically the dealers are going to b...

Hello. Typically the dealers are going to be quite a bit higher on parts than auto parts stores will. The part from the dealer is going to be a much better quality part, but that can be a big enough cost difference to not make it worth it. If you are going to go aftermarket, then I would have an independent mechanic do this for you, as it will save you some money. If you want to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace your starter for you and get you back on the road.