Q: The car is surging a lot. Even while driving, not just sitting still.

We had the car checked just recently and that mechanic states that it needs a new idle air control valve or motor. Are they the same thing? The check engine light is on and the codes came up with this problem also. Would it be possible to be only a vacuum leak problem in the hoses near to the IAC valve? Another thing, my son changed this part out only a year ago, but the problem did not go away. What do you think?

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is a very common issue in many cars and will cause the surging symptom you describe. It is possible that you may also have a vacuum leak as well as this can also cause an engine to surge this way. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect for a vacuum leak and replace your idle air control valve.

3. The car is surging a lot. Even while driving, not just sitting still.