Q: the car has sit since 2012. I have started it several times since then. In June 2016. Car engine run rough and cut off after warm.

I want to put the car back on the road and drive it. I know when the car idled for more than five minutes, the 225 slant six engine would run rough for a mile driving on the road and then the engine would run smooth again. I have new parts to install on the engine including carburetor. The engine has a two barrel carburetor on it from the factory and the miles of 207,000 is actual. I have owned this car since August of 1987. The car was driven daily until 2012. I have a 1994 Ford Ranger Pickup that I driven since January of 2010. I was told by my next door neighbor who knows about automobiles that the spark plugs will accumulate carbon when the engine idles too long. Would new spark plugs help? The plugs were replaced in April of 2008. Should I have the gas tank dropped and cleaned by a mechanic as well? Garry.

A: This is very common when a car has been sit...

This is very common when a car has been sitting for a period of time. I would suggest draining the fuel, replacing the fuel filter, replacing the spark plugs, changing the oil for starters. These are all basic maintenance items that will need to be done, especially since the car has been sitting for a number of years. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to perform a once over maintenance service covering those jobs I mentioned above. This should help the car run more smoothly.

Recommended services
View price for services