Q: The car has difficulty starting after sitting for a month, it has rough idling and sputters

My car has starting problems. It used to run fine, but now it has difficulty turning on after sitting for about a month or so. It wouldn't start the last time I tried, so I put some starting fluid. The car sputtered and ran rough. The weather was hot with high humidity while I wasn't using the car. It has very low idling. If I give it gas while idling, it dies out. I cannot get the vehicle to move. Also, it turns off if I put it in gear. It starts if I push the pedal several times. Do oyu have any idea what is wrong with it?

A: Hello. This can be caused by a number of th...

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. I typically start by checking to see if there are any codes in the computer. If there are not, then I typically will clean out the throttle body, as a dirty throttle body will cause this. If that is not the issue then I would suspect a failing camshaft or crankshaft sensor. These are both common failures on this vehicle. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your rough idling issue.