Q: The car has an autocheck report of 90.

The detailed vehicle history shows:11/19/2015 SPRING, TX 13,029

Independent Emission Source FAILED EMISSION INSPECTION PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION FAILED SAFETY INSPECTION PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION; Subsequently the car passed it 3 times with no problem. What does it mean and is it a concern? Thank you so much in advance.

Hey there. Failing the emission test is less of a concern than failing a safety inspection.

Emission testing failure could be as simple and innocuous as the car having a loose gas cap and setting a DTC.

But even if the emissions failure was due to a component, such as a failed oxygen sensor or a charcoal vapor canister, these parts would have been replaced and thus the "old" failure is now meaningless.

The "safety inspection" failure raises eyebrows but there again, it could have been because the tires were worn below the legal minimum tread depth. However, if the failure was due to collision damage, resulting in say broken lights, that’s a possible concern as far as "hidden" damage.

In sum, and particularly in regard to the safety inspection, whether the report finding is of any PRESENT significance will depend on exactly what component was involved and why. You can ignore the emission test results for the reasons stated above. If you simply want to ensure that your car is safe, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to conduct a comprehensive safety inspection of the vehicle to pinpoint whether there are any concerns.

3. The car has an autocheck report of 90.