Q: The brakes go to the floor

The brakes are going straight to the floor and not stopping my vehicle.

Hi there. A brake pedal that goes to the floor and does not stop the vehicle is very dangerous. Most of the time, this is caused by a failing brake master cylinder. The seals fail inside of the cylinder over time keeping it from building pressure. A leak in the braking system can also cause this. I would start by checking the brake fluid level in the reservoir. If the level is fine, then there is not a leak and the master cylinder is more than likely the issue.

If a mechanic were to diagnose this, he/she would clamp off the rubber brake lines to isolate the master cylinder to see if it can build pressure. If it cannot, then the master cylinder would be replaced with a new unit that is bench bled before it is installed. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the brake pedal to make sure what is causing the problem.