Q: The blower motor went out in my car

The blower motor went out in my car and the mechanic told me that because I have an automatic temp control button , It would take much longer to install. The part itself is only $112.00, but the mechanic quoted me $410.00. Does the auto temp button have anything to do with the blower motor installation?

Vehicles with automatic climate control have a far more complex system than conventional manual knob or lever type systems. Automatic systems constantly monitor things like the in-car temperature, the temperature of the air it’s blowing out, and where it blows from. With a conventional system, you move the lever or knob to where you want the air to blow out - dash vents, floor, etc. Automatic systems vary where the air blows out and the temperature it blows on their own. This creates the need to more, and more complex components that may be in the way - more components may have to be removed or moved to replace another component. The unfortunate part of that is more labor time is involved. With some automatic climate control equipped vehicles, it can take two to three times longer to replace components than if it had a manual system.

3. The blower motor went out in my car