Q: The alarm keeps going on

The truck is garaged and never left outside. Sometimes the alarm will go on out of nowhere. I was told that there was a special scanner called WDS which Ford has. Is there a scanner I could buy that will tell me the code or which door might be engaging the alarm. Since there are 3 Ford trucks at the house, I want to invest in a scanner that will tell me the codes or exactly what is causing the problem. Thanks for the help.

A: Hi there. The Ford factory equipment scanne...

Hi there. The Ford factory equipment scanner that you are referring to its called the IDS. This is not a cheap scanner whatsoever. A good scanner that will read the SRS system which contains the info for the alarm is going to cost at least 5 to 6 hundred dollars and prices climb very fast from there up into the thousands. A scanner will tell you a lot of good information on the system affected but knowledge of the system that you are working on is imperative because the scanner only lends clues. A proper diagnostic will still need to be performed to locate the issue.

If the issue is found to be the sensitivity of the alarm or anything that needs to be altered, the IDS is going to be your best bet in changing these settings. Any other scanner will not have the same capability as the IDS. Software alone for the IDS is in thousand dollar range as well. Aftermarket scanners that are good but still pricey are made by Snap on or Matco Tools.

Also it will help to know whether or not the alarm system is aftermarket, own equipment from the factory or aftermarket but installed by the dealer. Depending on how and by who it was installed can change the possibilities. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect for possible electrical problems on your vehicle and replace any damaged parts. Hopefully this information helps you get closer to figuring out your issue.