Q: The AC repair person suggested that I replace the system entirely.

I would have thought to change the compressor and flush the system to see if there are any other problems. I note there is a danger of damaging the new compressor but I just need to understand the procedure. My mechanic of course makes more money if I buy all new parts and he installs them. I'm just making sure there may be some sanity in checking the other parts first.

The air conditioning works when the car is moving fast but quits in slow traffic. When it is working it struggles with extreme temperatures.

This is a 2006 Mercedes E350 sedan. bought it new 10 years ago.

A: Hi there. Assuming, the diagnoses for the A...

Hi there. Assuming, the diagnoses for the A/C system are not working in traffic, this is a faulty/weak A/C compressor. It needs to be determined whether the system is contaminated. An A/C compressor (only) replacement can be successful if no contamination is present. The standard with no contamination is to replace the A/C compressor, the receiver/drier, the expansion valve/orifice to keep the compressor warranty intact. When contamination is present, the condenser is also replaced (not flushable), and the rest of the system is flushed. There are other possibilities for inoperative A/C system in traffic, such as radiator cooling fan issues. I recommend having your vehicle’s A/C issue diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.