Q: The AC repair person suggested that I replace the system entirely.

I would have thought to change the compressor and flush the system to see if there are any other problems. I note there is a danger of damaging the new compressor but I just need to understand the procedure. My mechanic of course makes more money if I buy all new parts and he installs them. I'm just making sure there may be some sanity in checking the other parts first.

The air conditioning works when the car is moving fast but quits in slow traffic. When it is working it struggles with extreme temperatures.

This is a 2006 Mercedes E350 sedan. bought it new 10 years ago.

3. The AC repair person suggested that I replace the system entirely.