Q: Terrible backup camera, can it be fixed?

My 2013 Nissan Altima (25k miles) came with the optional backup camera to assist with parking. I thought this was a wonderful addition and never really thought to test it out. Cameras are on everything these days, so surely a Japanese car brand would have that figured out, right? I was wrong. The camera is useless! I don’t know how anyone could have tested this and decide it was okay for customers to pay for! Is there any way I can improve the camera quality?

Backup cameras can be a huge help when the function properly. Nissan has released a bulletin NTB13-106D that ensures the system has been configured correctly. Of course, make sure there is nothing in the way and that the external bits are clean. Once past that minor detail, swing by your local dealer and have them check for updates and to make sure that the bulletin applies to your vehicle.