Q: Temperature gauge not reaching appropriate temperature.

My car has began to not get to appropriate temperature since it has started to get cold, the temperature of the car will not get above the quarter mark on the gauge. I replaced the thermostat over the weekend and thought that helped but didnt, if I sit in the car and press the accelerator the car will eventually get to temperature but once i start driving and the cold air hits the engine, it slowly goes back down to the quarter line. Any help would be very much appreciated!

When replacing thermostats, or if you are trying to diagnose a problem, the best thing to do is install the OEM (i.e., dealer supplied) thermostat. Assuming that the thermostat you got is "good" (i.e., opening at OEM specified temperature and not sticking open), there are two possibilities. Check cooling fan(s) to see if maybe they are stuck "on". Such could happen if the relay is stuck. The other possibility is the sending unit, that is the engine temperature sensor, and/or the dash gauge are misreporting the actual temperature. The sensor and gauge can be tested using factory specifications. In addition to get an approximate idea of what is going on, you can use an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the housing, through which the coolant is flowing, at the temperature sensor. If you desire that a certified Mechanic perform these tests and repair the fault for you, please set up a mobile visit with YourMechanic. Please let us know how we can assist you further.

3. Temperature gauge not reaching appropriate temperature.