Q: Temperature gauge acts errratically and engine destroyed

The temperature gauge in my vehicle has begun to act erratically. After taking it to the dealership, I was told this is a common problem among my make/model, but he didn’t tell me what they would do to fix it. Later I found out they replaced the gauge and a leaking hose at a whopping price tag! Three weeks after that the temperature gauge began acting erratically again, so I immediately took it back to the dealer. This time they diagnosed it as massive overheating; the head gasket slipped and all coolant and fluid drained into the engine. The engine was totally destroyed and could not be repaired. Once again I was told that this is a common problem with vehicles of my make/model. Before I spend multiple thousands on a new engine, could you please give me your suggestions and any advice? Thank you.

Hi. Land Rovers are generally pricey to repair. If it is a common problem I would honestly look into purchasing another type of vehicle without those common issues because there is no telling if the head gasket will blow again. It likely will because you did say the issue is common. If you really would like to stick with Land Rover I suggest that you lease a Land Rover with a great engine and drivetrain warranty. That way if something like that goes wrong they will be responsible for fixing it. If you’d like a second opinion about this overheating issue outside of the dealer, consider enlisting a certified technician from YourMechanic.

3. Temperature gauge acts errratically and engine destroyed