Q: Taking out of park issues

My car wouldn't let me take it out of park. Like it wasn't noticing I was pushing the brake.

Among the faults that could make it impossible to shift out of Park are a failed brake light switch, bad shift interlock solenoid or wiring, and broken transmission shift cable but if the failure is not found there during a failure to shift from park diagnostic, there are other possibilities such as various fuses in the control circuit.

As an interim, quick fix, you can actuate the shifter lock override which is there to allow you to get out of Park in the case of a system failure. First, put the emergency brake on. You may have either a visible "override button" or a button that is concealed beneath a slot. If beneath a slot, find the shifter lock override slot, which is usually located on the shifter console close to the shift lever. The slot will be plugged with a plastic cap. Remove the cap and push down on the button with a nail file or other pointed object. As you are pushing the button down, step on the brake pedal, move the shifter into neutral, and start the car. Note that releasing the shifter will only bypass the problem, if the problem was a locked shifter. There will be other issues to take care of, but this will at least get the car to move, which can be important if your car is not currently located in a place where it can stay until a mechanic comes out to inspect the underlying issue. If you have a visible over ride button, simply press the button as you go through the foregoing steps to shift into neutral and start the car.

To get this permanently resolved, of course, the best thing to do is schedule an inspection and repair. If you have additional questions or concerns, by all means please re-contact YourMechanic.