Q: taillights not working

My taillights are not working, but the brake lights are working. The bulbs and fuses are okay too. What could be wrong?

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The vehicle is likely experiencing an electrical issue with the switch or wiring involved with its circuit. If the fuse is fine, further electrical testing must be done. With a multi-meter you can test the switch and make sure its resistance is not out of the specified accepted range. If it is, the system is not receiving the ground connection it needs to complete the circuit. At this point the switch must be replaced. If the switch is okay, then they wiring is loose or shorted out somewhere. Common areas for problems are at the terminals or connections, and at any areas next to the wiring where work has been done. In this situation you would have to trace the power supply until you found the component or area of wiring where the power dropped. For more help with electrical testing, contact our service department.