Q: Taillights and dash not lit up

The taillights do not come on at all, and the instrument panel does not light up. The emergency flashers and headlights work.

The tail lights and instrument lights on your Ford Contour usually run on the same circuit. If you would like to investigate this on your own, then one thing you can try is using the manual to locate the tail light fuse in your fuse box to see if it has blown. Be sure to do this with the key in the off position.

If a fuse does not resolve your issue, the problem may lie in the headlight switch or perhaps the wiring. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to come by and inspect your lighting system. They will have the tools and experience to quickly identify why your instrument and tail lights are not working. They will also be able to make the repairs needed to keep your lights working when you need them most.