Q: Tailgate handle not working properly

The handle I recently had replaced on my tailgate is malfunctioning again. It worked a few times after installation. I can hear the lock electronically disengage, though it does not do so physically.

A: The lock actuator is one part to locking sy...

The lock actuator is one part to locking system. There is also the latch and the rods or cables that connect the electronic lock actuator to the latch. The rods/cables are locked in place by small plastic clips. If these clips break, which happens often, the electronic actuator will work, but it will not be attached to anything. That might be why you hear it working but nothing is happening. The rear panel will need to be removed to physically inspect the clips, rods, cables, and latch. Working in doors and trunk lids can be cramped and uncomfortable. Often times you have to work through small holes on the door with a mirror and light. I suggest seeking professional assistance. The repair may be simple and easy to fix, a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to help you inspect and replace the locking assembly if required.