Q: Tachometer has been stuck at maximum since winter started

As said, my tachometer has been stuck at it's maximum and I would like to figure out how to fix it. I am fully capable of taking apart the dash clutter but need to know what to do before doing it. Thanks in advance. Matt

Miniature stepper motors are often used in the tach application to position the pointer. If so equipped, the stepper motor is soldered onto the cluster PCB. It is not too difficult to remove them, and solder in a new one, and the motors are widely available as they are quite standardized. The initial issue, of course, is before taking anything apart you have to actually diagnose, that is conclusively identify, the fault. The only way to do that is using the protocol in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) which you will need anyway if you are disassembling the dash to get the cluster out. The FSM will set out the circuit schematically and give you the procedure to test the circuit that feeds the signal to the Tachometer. You have to test that circuit first so that you don’t needlessly repair the wrong thing. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical component diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.