Q: System Emissions Problem

My Honda Civic is new with 10,000 miles on it and when driving on the highway the check engine service light came on saying "System Emissions Problem". At first I thought it was a faulty sensor so I reset it after i changed my oil which was the day after. But, after another day or two driving with new oil, the light came back on again. My car is running perfectly fine and there seems to be no problem with it but im afraid if i keep on driving it with this problem I will severely damage it. I'm still not sure if it is a problem with the catalytic convertor or again just a faulty sensor.

A: Hey there. With the vehicle being brand new...

Hey there. With the vehicle being brand new, typically there is a warranty and you can take it back to the dealership. The sensor may have failed. If resetting it had an effect on the light, then that means the same issue has triggered again, or the sensor was faulty to begin with. The catalytic converter would be a concern if the warning light indicated a code pertaining to the lower oxygen sensor.

The best way to tell is to have the vehicle scanned for the codes that have set the warning light off. The components related to the codes would be the first components to test is possible. Any warning light should be taken seriously. However a Check Engine Light would indicate a more serious issue.