Q: Q: Switch to Manual mode, but gears don't seem to change any more in that mode.

I drive a 2010 Nissan Altima with an automatic transmission, but frequently use the manual mode. (I don't abuse it) Normally, when I shift over to manual, "D's" come up to on my dash (I think this means "Drive Shift" or "Synchro") and if I shift up or down it will respond by putting me in an appropriate gear and going up or down. Now, when I try to change to Manual mode, it just stays in drive. No "D's" or gears show up any more. It doesn't respond at all when I try to change to manual mode. What could be the problem?

This is an internal problem with the shift switch on the transmission selector. The transmission would need to be tested to see if it is a defective selector switch, or the transmission valve body problem. The system would need to be tested since the system goes through the transmission control module and sends signals on the computer network to the dash display. If the system is in a failure mode, then it may not let you go into manual mode. Have the transmission checked just in case the system has an internal failure.

3. Q: Switch to Manual mode, but gears don't seem to change any more in that mode.