Q: Swaying around at speed, what’s causing it?

I have been a Dodge owner for years, and was pretty satisfied with my 2007 Ram up until recently. Now when I travel at speeds above 60 mph the truck starts to shake and sway. The steering isn’t that affected by it, so it may just be the body. The truck is at 110,000 miles, but that isn’t that high for a work vehicle! There is no way this should be happening to a truck less than 10 years old. How do I fix this without just getting a new truck?

Vibration issues can be tough to diagnose because of the higher speeds at which they occur. That being said, there is a way for a technician to determine the functional parts, to help locate the issue. Dodge has released a service bulletin 22-001-14 REV A that helps. The downside to this is that a special “road force” tire balancer is needed. This machine duplicates the weight of the vehicle acting on the tire as it travels on the road. It will help the technician determine if the tire is out of round, out of balance, or is within tolerances. A question to ask is when did it all start, was there an event or service that may have caused it? Sometimes improper balancing or incorrect repairs can be the culprit.