Q: SUV wouldn't start and brake pedal felt too tight

Several times my SUV wouldn’t start and then the brake pedal felt very tight. If I waited around an hour, my car would start again. The brake pedal would feel looser and my vehicle would start just fine. I’m thinking that I should make sure to first press the brake pedal completely down before I press the start button to see if that would prevent the problem from occurring again. Do you agree or what do you suggest that I do?

If you are having intermittent problems starting the vehicle, when you do not push down the brake pedal far enough, then I would suggest pushing the brakes down until the brake lights come on and then this should enable the start button to crank the engine. If the engine will not crank and you notice the brake lights are not on, then you may need to have the brake switch checked and possibly replaced to fix the issue. If you are still having trouble, have a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose your starting issue and determine what repairs will need to be done.