Q: SUV stalled when travelled over bump in road

I drove over a bump in the road while going about 19 mph and my SUV stalled. I took it to the dealership to be diagnosed and was told that the fuel pump fuse needed replacement. They replaced the fuel pump, but two days later, the same problem occurred again. This time I had to have the car towed. Before I allow anyone to work on my SUV again, could you please tell me your experienced diagnosis and what should be done to fix this stalling issue?

Hello. Since the stall occurred going over a bump, I would say that you have some sort of wiring issue causing the problem. I would run your vehicle and start manipulating the wiring harnesses until the vehicle stalls. If that does not work, you will need to visually inspect all the wiring for the fuel pump circuit. Check under the fuse block in the engine bay first. It is common for rodents to make nests in there and chew the insulation off the wires. When there is no insulation, it is possible for the wires to short together and cause the pump to stop running or blow the fuse for the fuel pump circuit. To have this all scoped out for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and verify what components need repair.

3. SUV stalled when travelled over bump in road