Q: SUV parked for three years

Hello. My SUV hasn't been started in about three years. It was running when I parked it. I need to know what I should do before trying to start it, such as any special oils for the transmission, engine, gas treatments, etc. I just got a new battery.

Hi. Parking a vehicle for that long is never good. Things like wiring, starter, fuel pump, and transmission can all go bad from lack of use. In severe cases, engines do seize up from rusting internally due to lack of use. I suggest seeking help form a mechanic to help you in determining the condition of the engine and making sure it is not seized before attempting to start it. The fuel system is another thing that might need cleaning. As fuel evaporates it leaves behind a thick gunky residue that can clog injectors. The material that filters inside the fuel filter can deteriorate much like paper would in water over that period of time. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose what needs attention and suggest an appropriate repair.

3. SUV parked for three years