Q: SUV no longer recognizes key

When I insert the key into the driver’s door, it won’t lock/unlock and it turns smoothly left/right. It seems like my SUV does not recognize my key any more. Then after getting into my vehicle, I insert the key into the ignition and when I turn it, the alarm blares on wildly and the flashers come on without any attempt to start (the time is correct so I assume the battery isn’t dead). I tried the method of lock/unlock, 3 times on the driver’s door, but it still seems like the SUV isn’t recognizing the key.

Hello. This is a common issue on this vehicle. The issue comes from the key either losing its programming or from the fob having a dead battery. I would typically start by trying a spare key if you have one. If not, then replace the battery in the fob itself. If the problem persists, then the receiver module needs to be reprogrammed or replaced. I always reprogram it first to see if it fixes it before I replace the module. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this issue and recommend a repair.

3. SUV no longer recognizes key