Q: SUV lost power and unresponsive

My SUV has 114,000 miles. It suddenly lost power and it was almost unresponsive yesterday. I tried 3-4 times to shift into reverse, as I was trying to back into our drive. It was a few months ago when this problem first occurred, while we were out-of-town, at that time. When this happens, we have to pull off the road, highway, street, etc., turn off the car for a while, then try to restart in order to have enough power to finish the drive.

The dealership replaced a camshaft solenoid magnet. We don’t feel safe in our SUV any more and we feel that this problem is so dangerous that we’re not taking the vehicle on any long drives or out-of-town. What is your diagnosis and how to solve this problem?

A: For your Mercedes GL450, it is very likely ...

For your Mercedes GL450, it is very likely that an issue that produces symptoms such as this would be associated with a Check Engine Light. With this being considered, I would recommend having the Check Engine Light codes read with an OBD2 scanner to determine what the powertrain control module is recording.

It is possible that the repair that was performed on your camshaft was not performed correctly or completely. I would first recommend having the repair shop or person that serviced your engine last take a look at it to determine what the cause of the issue is.

The Check Engine Light codes will go a long way towards determining what this exact cause is. It is also possible that your powertrain control module itself is failing.

This can be determined by doing a number of tests and/or using a high tech scan tool. If the powertrain control module is malfunctioning, the part can be costly, the replacement can be even more costly depending on the location, and there will likely be a charge to reprogram the powertrain control module.

With this information considered, it is important to verify whether or not the powertrain control module is faulty and to be absolutely certain in your judgement of its failure. This job is best left to a professional, as extensive knowledge of Mercedes Benz, as well as expensive scan tools, will likely be required to perform the diagnosis and repair of your car’s loss of power.