Q: Suspected transmission. 2004 Ford Escape

My car will not move in any gear i try, unless i rev the engine hard enough then it starts barley moving, more likely to happen when in reverse more then in any drive gear. (D,1,2)

A: Hello. I am sorry to hear of this issue wit...

Hello. I am sorry to hear of this issue with your 2004 Escape and I will try to help you with your question. First thing to do is ensure that you have the right amount of transmission fluid. If the fluid level is really low, the transmission will not operate at all. Transmissions rely on hydraulic pressure: no or low fluid means no hydraulic pressure and thus no operation.

If the fluid level is OK, and you have put the car in gear ("D" for instance) and you are able to get it to move "slightly" only if you increase engine speed enough, you probably have either a failed oil pump in the transmission or a failed torque converter. Such a failure in the hydraulic system is relatively easy to diagnose as it will show as extremely low pressure once the technician applies a pressure gauge to the test port on the transmission.

If that is the cause, the transmission will have to be removed from the vehicle in order to replace the converter, oil pump and possibly other components. A professional from YourMechanic could give you a prompt diagnosis of the gear issue and can give you an idea of the likely cost involved to repair this issue.