Q: stuck in 4w low

my tahoe is stuck in 4wheel low and will not disengage in to anything else tried watching a you tube video on how to override it but was not very helpful need to know how to get it back into 2w drive please help dont have money to take to shop to fix

Hello. Most of the time this occurs when the encoder module in the transfer case fails. The encoder motor fails and does not disengage the four wheel drive system. It can also be an electrical issue, but that is rare. I usually check all of the connection on the encoder just to make sure that there are no issues. I then drain the fluid in the transfer case to check for metal. If there is metal in the fluid then the problem is the transfer case itself and it will need to be rebuilt. These types of issues are best diagnosed by a transmission specialist.

3. stuck in 4w low