Q: Struggles to start, interior blowers turn on by them selves and central locking issues

Hi I bought a 2002 Volvo v40 last month with no noticeable problems at first. It after using it as a daily computer I've noticed a few issues spring up first of all the cars done 129k miles but is in really good condition. Good paint work no rust, good interior however on occasion it struggles to start. As in nothing happens when I turn the key. I researched you sometimes have to press the clutch in when starting volvos but the problem still persists internitntly, also the central locking doesn't lock the drivers side door and just recently the interior blower fans came on by them selves the other day and now won't turn off. Help

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing a few different issues. Intermittent hard starting can be caused by many things. If nothing is happening when you turn the key, then it is possible that there is an issue with the ignition switch, clutch safety switch, or perhaps the associated wiring. The starting system is energized through these components and can have issues if they are worn or need to be replaced. In regards to the central locking and blower fan issues, it may be possible that they are due to wiring faults. If the driver door is the only door that does not unlock then the wiring to it, from the central unit may be bad, or perhaps even the actuator itself. Same with the blower motor - if it stays on, then it may be possible that there is a short, sending unmetered power to the blower motor. If you need to have this checked, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the hard start and take care of any repairs that are needed for this.

3. Struggles to start, interior blowers turn on by them selves and central locking issues