Q: Strong vibration in the rear end

I have a strong vibration, like hitting potholes, in the rear end of my truck. When under light acceleration between 40 and 50 mph but hard acceleration is fine. Also I can hear a loud squeak when I'm backIng up. I've been told my u joints need to be replaced but I'm trying to get other opinions.

A: The noise and vibration sound like the u-jo...

The noise and vibration sound like the u-joints are bad from what you've described, as they will cause all these issues if so. Inspect the u-joints and you will be able to see rust around the cups or see the bad joint itself. If the joints are not bad then you have a pinion bearing in the rear end going bad. The seal will start to leak if it is bad.

If you need some assistance with these checks, consider enlisting a certified mechanic who can diagnose the vibration you're experiencing and fix it accordingly.