Q: Straight shift not going into third gear.

My car has a straight shift. The problem is, it will not go into third gear. I'm assuming this is a transmission problem.

A: Yes, based on the symptoms and if there is ...

Yes, based on the symptoms and if there is a grinding noise when trying to shift the transmission into 3rd gear, you have either a worn 3-4 synchro or a bent shift fork. In either case the transmission would have to be pulled from the vehicle and opened up. However, if there is no noise the problem may lie in the shift control linkage and housing which may be able to repaired without the transmission being removed. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who diagnose and make recommendations for the repairs that may be needed.