Q: Stick shift, gets up 2.5k rpms and spits and sputters. Check engine light calling for O2 sensor.

It's a stick shift it runs and idols I get up to 2000 RPMs and it runs horribly. I have a check engine light and it says I need a new O2 sensor.

Hi, thanks for writing in. The problem you describe could be a catalytic converter that is beginning to clog up and not allow the exhaust to flow freely. This will actually cause the vehicle to "choke" on the exhaust pressure that can’t escape. It can also cause the oxygen sensor to see a reading that is out of range. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• Stick shift, gets up 2.5k rpms and spits and sputters. Check engine light calling for O2 sensor.