Q: Steering wheel makes a sreech sound while turning

My car makes a screech sound when I'm turning. It's not that often but it does do it. My steering fluid is fine, so I don't if it needs to be lubricated or it needs to be replace. I'm hoping it doesn't because I just put this car in shop for other reasons and don't want to spend more money.

Hi there. It sounds like you could have a weak serpentine belt tensioner or worn serpentine belt. When you turn the wheel and use the power steering, the pump places additional load on the serpentine belt. If the belt is worn or the tensioner weak, then the belt may squeal. This squeal is the belt literally flapping, usually in the longest stretch, while under load without sufficient tension to keep it stable. Over time this will lead to repeated belt failure if the tensioner is weak. Most serpentine belt tensioners have marks that provide us a quick visual of the tension capabilities of the tensioner in real time. If the triangle, or arrow, is past the marks meaning that the tensioner is moving toward the loose side, the direction the tensioner is moved to allow belt removal, then it is in need of replacement. Not all tensioners have these handy marks and require the use of a belt tension tool to check proper belt tension. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a squeal noise while turning inspection.

3. Steering wheel makes a sreech sound while turning