Q: Steering wheel loose.

My steering wheel is loose and goes up and down. I also think my alternator may not be charging properly.

I think you may be referring to the shift lever on the steering column. Ford vehicles are known for having shift levers that flop around due to a bolt that comes loose under the steering column. If this bolt isn’t secured, further damage to the steering column can occur. I have personally fixed Ford trucks that had this problem and eventually broken ears off the steering column shaft, resulting in a much larger repair bill. As far as the alternator not charging, a trained technician can easily troubleshoot your entire starting and charging system using dedicated equipment. The team of qualified technicians at YourMechanic could help you with both of your issues.