Q: Steering wheel loose.

My steering wheel is loose and goes up and down. I also think my alternator may not be charging properly.

I think you may be referring to the shift lever on the steering column. Ford vehicles are known for having shift levers that flop around due to a bolt that comes loose under the steering column. If this bolt isn’t secured, further damage to the steering column can occur. I have personally fixed Ford trucks that had this problem and eventually broken ears off the steering column shaft, resulting in a much larger repair bill. As far as the alternator not charging, a trained technician can easily troubleshoot your entire starting and charging system using dedicated equipment. The team of qualified technicians at YourMechanic could help you with both of your issues.

3. Steering wheel loose.