Q: Steering veers over bumps and when turning

I have been having trouble with the steering in my truck. It has literally been all over the place when I’m driving, especially over bumps and on curves. So I took it for an alignment and the technician reported to me that he had trouble setting the caster at zero. I am thinking that the problem might be the torsion bars underneath the truck might need to be readjusted. Do you concur with that assessment or what else do you think is causing this steering problem?

Hello. It is certainly important to adjust the "ride height" of the front end with the torsion bar adjusters before doing the alignment. If the front is set to the correct ride height on both sides (so as to be level), there is some other suspension component issue. I would discuss this further with your alignment specialist. If you would like another technician to take a look, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the suspension.

3. Steering veers over bumps and when turning