Q: Steering shaft cover melting

Our exhaust manifold was cracked so we had it replaced with a set of headers. We noticed that the steering shaft cover was starting to melt from heat! Why would the headers get so hot? Did the mechanic overlook something? The headers are suppose to have air injection.

A: Hello there. Thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there. Thanks for writing in about your 1997 Chevy C2500. There are a few possible causes for the heat issues you have. Headers perform better at higher RPM’s than many stock cast exhaust manifolds. They do this in part by being larger in diameter and running out of the engine differently. In most cases, the headers are made of thinner material that transfers heat much more than the factory exhaust manifolds. If the header was placed too close to the steering shaft, was not compatible for you vehicle, or has poor fitment, it can cause these issues. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to inspect the exhaust system and determine how to correct this issue.