Q: Steering has gotten harder and now the car groans

I've had the steering serviced in my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu twice, and now the same problem with a groaning, dry sound every time I turn the steering wheel is happening again. I don’t like how this problem keeps occurring, as the vehicle is only at 67,000 miles. What can I do to fix this for good?

Depending on when and which the parts you had replaced, there may have been multiple recalls pertaining to your steering system. The newest OEM campaign 14772, dated February 5th 2015, is to replace a torque sensor if it was not replaced in the 2008 recall. These electrical steering systems have had multiple recalls or campaigns. In order to check coverage on one or more of these recalls, I would suggest you contact YourMechanic to diagnose the noise and advise on needed repairs or recalls to be performed. The problem may be some other issue like the strut upper bearing making noise while turning. YourMechanic can come to your home or office for the service call if you feel that your car is unsafe to drive.