Q: Steering column only lifting halfway up

My steering wheel and column won't lift all the way up. It seems like the little motor only lets it go halfway up.

A: Hi there. Your car uses electric motors tha...

Hi there. Your car uses electric motors that allow you to adjust the steering column. There are two reasons as to why the column will only move half way. This will occur if the motor itself is failing as it is harder to move the column the higher is goes, or there is a programming problem. The control module programming may be corrupted which can keep the column from moving any further than half way as it no longer can identify the correct column positions. A computer scan tool will be needed to identify this. If this is something that you are planning on having done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your location to perform these tasks for you.